Livin’ on Chips & Guac
Servings: 2 people who can eat their weight in chips
- 2-3 ripe avocados 2 large or 3 small
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 onion (any will do)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 lime
- avocado oil
- Half the tomatoes, squeeze them in the sink to remove all the seeds and mushy stuff, leaving only the meat. Dice them and spread them on a plate or cutting board. Sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and let rest while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Devein and remove the seeds from the jalapeno, leaving 1/3 to ½ of the seeds depending on how much heat you enjoy.
- Mince the garlic and jalapeno.
- Dice about ½ of the onion and add along with the garlic and jalapeno to your molcajete or bowl. Sprinkle with a generous amount of salt, squeeze ¼ a lime into the mix, then add approx. 1 tbsp of avocado oil.
- Lightly smash with molcajete handle, spoon or fork. Let rest for a few minutes.
- Add the avocados and loosely smash. Add an additional ¼ lime juice, the tomatoes and plenty of pepper. Mix to combine(don’t smash your tomatoes).
- Taste with chips! Incrementally add a little lime juice or salt until it’s just perfect, but be careful with both!
Use organic everything. NOTE: Try it topped with cilantro, pomegranate seeds, radishes and/or cotija. If adding cotija, use slightly less salt. This is all about the fun in preparation! Consider this less of a recipe and more of an exercise in making each individual ingredient taste the best it can, e.g., I think salting tomatoes makes them more tomatoey…I have no idea if that’s true! Same thing with avo oil, I think it makes it creamier and carries some of the other flavors, but you can totally omit it.